It’s Friday, May 20, 2016, and time for a Virtual Field Trip at ClickSchooling!
Alcoa: How Aluminum is Made
Age Range: 6-18 (Grades 1-12, with parental supervision)
The Alcoa Company offers several great ways to find out how aluminum is made. When you get to the site you’ll see a selection of choices from exploring a mini-website on the topic, to downloading a free colorful brochure, to watching a video of the manufacturing process.
We found it easy to just follow the topics in order as follows:
- Visit the “It All Starts With Dirt” website. Click on “enter site” and a new window opens. From there, click on “Make Your Selection” to see a menu of choices. Click on “Adding Value From the Ground Up” to take an illustrated text tour of the entire aluminum manufacturing process. When you’re through, go back to the menu to read about the “Age of Aluminum” and “The Alcoa Story.”
Close that screen to go back to the landing page and look for:
- Alcoa Can’t Wait – Under that heading you can click on links to hear the Alcoa “Folk Song,” watch a 1970s TV commercial, and watch a fast-paced 2008 video that is a quick timeline of the history of aluminum.
- See How Aluminum is Made – DON’T MISS THIS! Watch a 3-minute video of the complete aluminum manufacturing process.
- Alcoa’s History (Timeline) – Use your mouse for an interactive exploration of events in the history of aluminum.
- Biography of Charles Martin Hall – Learn about this amazing aluminum pioneer and manufacturing magnate.
- Aluminum Smelting – For budding chemists and techies – get a more in-depth discussion of aluminum manufacturing.
Alcoa has gone out of their way to offer a variety of multi-media resources to help visitors to their site understand how aluminum is manufactured.
(Non-readers will need assistance. There is something for everyone here. Young children may prefer to watch the video, and older students can explore the topic in more depth.)