It’s Thursday, April 20, 2017, and time for Social Sciences at ClickSchooling!
Age Range: 7-18 (Grades 2-12, with parental supervision)
This comprehensive website from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum explores the history of American air travel through articles, pictorial presentations, and interactive activities.
When arriving at today’s link, visitors can use the upper menu or the image map to choose from:
- Fly Across America – See what was involved in traveling from New York to San Francisco, California during different time periods with this interactive map.
- Online Exhibition – Dig deep into aviation history and technology with articles and images.
- Objects & Images – Examine more than 300 images of planes, people, maps, documents, and much more.
- Activities – Interactive activities that include:
- The Well-Dressed Pilot – Appropriately dress a time-period pilot.
- Contact Flying – As an airmail pilot, navigate your route using landmarks.
- A Pilot’s Personality – Examine documents to discern airmail pilot Bill Hopson’s personality.
- Travel Agent – Using travel advertisements decide which way you would like to travel – by plane, train, or ship.
- Around the World in 18 Days – Arrange Herbert R. Ekins’ journey around the world by either arranging the various aircraft he used in the correct order or make a newsreel arranging videos, images, and maps into a video timeline then add the appropriate audios.
- At Your Service – Discover the amenities that were available on a 1950’s DC-7.
- Stewardess Requirements – See if you would have met the requirements to become a stewardess in the 1950’s.
- Baggage Claim – Match the luggage to the correct passenger based on its contents.
- A New Generation of Leaders – Read mini biographies about the early leaders of the airline industry.
- Today’s Jets – Learn about modern day jets and then try your hand at identifying them.
- Air Routes – Explore the changes of commercial air routes for some major airlines.
- Arline Ticket Price Meter – You are given $300 for an airline ticket. Choose options to make your ticket affordable.
- Fly the Mail – Fly the mail from New York to Cleveland, Ohio making decisions along the way to reach your destination in a timely manner.
- Stories – Visitor submitted stories about air travel
- In the News – A few news articles relating to air travel
- Behind the Scenes – Museum articles about the exhibits
There is so much to do and see at this website you will most certainly want to bookmark it to come back time and again.