It’s Wednesday, September 24, 2014, and time for Language Arts at ClickSchooling!
Age Range: 6-12 (Grades 1-7, with parental supervision)
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation and Melbourne University’s Centre for Classics and Archaeology collaborated on this website that uses digital storytelling to provide stories from Greek mythology to inspire the imaginations of children around the world.
As mentioned in the “About” section of the website, “This project was setup…with a view to avoiding the ‘Disneyfication’ or dumbing down of the Classics, while at the same time interpreting the stories and characters of these myths in a contemporary, entertaining and engaging way.”
The timeless stories on video are beautifully rendered animations of mythical people and places. Learning mythology is reinforced with interactive games. There are even off-line activity suggestions for artistic
When you get to the site, choose which version you want to view the site – Flash or HTML. Then click on the interactive map or use the menu that includes:
- Storytime – Watch and listen to the animated videos of Greek myths that include, “Perseus and Medusa,” “Demeter and Persephone,” and more.
- Play Games – These online games let you make your own pentatonic music or catch chicken feathers to make wings.
- Make and Do – Get instructions for art projects you can do offline at home- make a Medusa mask, a Grecian vase, or your own Grecian robe.
- Who’s Who – Use this searchable online guide to learn about the characters, heroes and gods of Greek mythology.
- History – Use a list of history links to learn more about everyday life in Classic Greek times.
- Ask the Oracle – Watch the story of Apollo and the Oracle of Delphi. Ask the Oracle about your future (intended for entertainment).
This site provides a blend of education and technology to make learning fun!