It’s Thursday, February 25, 2016, and time for Social Sciences at ClickSchooling!
Age Range: 7-18 (Grades 2-12, with parental supervision)
Learn all about President George Washington with this website from the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery. Using the full-length portrait, Lansdowne, by Gilbert Stuart as the focal point of this study, visitors can explore the interactive presentations and games to not only examine the portrait but discover interesting facts about George Washington and the time period in which he lived.
When arriving at the site, use the upper menu to navigate to your area of interest. Select from:
- The Portrait – Geared towards older students and adults, use the interactive portrait to examine it in detail from three different vantage points: symbolic, biographic, and artistic.
- Kids – Solve clues to not only discover what is missing in the portrait but also learn interesting facts as to why the items may have been included in the painting. The kid section also includes:
- The Patriot Papers – interactive activities such as matching games, crossword puzzles, word searches and more as well as downloadable articles from The Patriot Papers published by the Office of Education at the National Portrait Gallery which include a student and teacher version of the publishing
- Teacher Guide – Find extra activities and lessons plans to further enhance your studies here.
- Family Guide – Discover great topical discussion ideas as well as interesting information.
- Wallpaper – a couple of downloadable images of Washington for your desktop
- Washington’s Life – Explore the life and times of George Washington with this timeline.
- Exhibition – Learn more about the painting and its artist as well as try out a couple of samples of the traveling interactives.
This website provides a unique way to learn about the first president of the United States and a fun addition to your history studies.