Hi! It’s Wednesday, February 27, 2013 and time for Language Arts at ClickSchooling!
Age Range: 13-18 (Grades 9-12 approximately, with parental supervision)
Best-selling author of young adult fiction, John Green, offers this new, free, video mini-series, “Crash Course in English Literature” that revs up interest and understanding of classic literature for the high school age crowd. With manic enthusiasm, he hurtles through plots, characters, writing styles, trivia, and jokes (that will make you groan) – all punctuated with colorful pictures, illustrations, doodles and more.
When you get to the YouTube site, you’ll see a menu of the current 8 videos in the series including:
- How and Why We Read
- Of Pentameter & Bear Baiting – Romeo & Juliet
- Was Gatsby Great? The Great Gatsby
- Language, Voice, and Holden Caulfield: The Catcher in the Rye
- Before I Got My Eye Put Out – The Poetry of Emily Dickinson
Each video course provides knowledge about the literature in a way that really speaks to those who are resistant to it. Green uses funny analogies, quips, gimmicks, and references to pop culture to provide an analysis of the literature that makes it more understandable for today’s teen.
Note to Parents: John Green does address the topic of sex in these literary works. As always, parents should preview the videos to determine suitability of content.
After exploring the “Crash Course in English Literature,” use the menu to check out Green’s other Crash Courses:
- Crash Course in World History (42 videos)
- Crash Course in Biology (40 videos)
- Crash Course in Ecology (12 videos)
- Crash Course in U.S. History (4 videos)