It’s Tuesday, May 12, 2015, and time for Science at ClickSchooling!
Inquiry In Action
Age Range: 10-14 (Grades 5-8 approximately,with parental supervision)
Check out this website where you can download Inquiry In Action – a free book of activities that teach chemistry and physical science published by the American Chemical Society.
When you get to the website you’ll see a brief introduction, a list of the most popular activities, and a review of chemistry fundamentals. Look for the words “Get The Book” to download the entire book in pdf format for free. You can also use the book online. Just click on “View the Activities” and a new page opens with the table of contents outlining all seven chapters that include:
1. Molecules in Motion – Students conduct experiments with M&M’s in water to answer a set of questions based on their observations.
2. Physical Properties & Physical Change in Solids – Compare the properties of four different household crystals to the properties of an unknown crystal.
3. Physical Properties & Physical Change in Liquids – Investigate the behavior of liquids on various surfaces.
4. Dissolving Solids, Liquids, & Gases – Explore the different factors that affect the solubility of solids, liquids, and gases.
5. Chemical Change – Experience the evidence of chemical change such as production of a gas, change in temperature, color change, and formation of a precipitate.
6. States of Matter – Consider how heating and cooling affect molecular motion.
7. Density – Explore the concept of density through the familiar experiences of sinking and floating.
Inquiry In Action offers the flexibility to pick and choose experiments based on your area of interest. It’s a great way to introduce chemistry and physics through engaging activities.