It’s Thursday, March 9, 2017, and time for Social Sciences at ClickSchooling!
Age Range: 8-18 (Grades 3-12, with parental supervision)
Take an interactive journey along the Underground Railroad with this website presentation from Scholastic.
After reviewing the introduction, click the “Begin the Journey” link to start the interactive. Through the interactive activities and stories visitors can learn what it might have been like to have been a slave traveling along the Underground Railroad. As visitors follow the trail they will:
Throughout the presentation, there are clickable links to more information and visitors can also select the ‘headphones’ icon to have the passage read aloud to them – a great option for younger students.
There are more activities available to expand this study. At the top of the page is a link to the Teacher’s Activity Guide. Once the page opens, scroll down to “The Underground Railroad Teaching Guide” to view helpful teaching notes. Back on the home page, visitors can:
- Read the Myths of the Underground Railroad.
- Watch additional Slideshows about slavery, abolitionists, and the Underground Railroad.
- Find more related Activities to do on and offline.
- View Primary Sources including photographs, paintings, and posters.
- Further reading book suggestions (Note: These are linked to the Scholastic store.)
There is a lot of information and activities available on this site that can easily translate into a whole unit study.