Hi! It’s Monday, April 18, 2011 and time for Math at ClickSchooling!
Age Range: 8-16 (approximately, with parental guidance)
This website offers engaging articles for kids with activities to explain different aspects of math in everyday life. The articles were written by author Ivars Peterson, editor of the website Science News for Kids. He wrote many of the articles for Muse magazine as well.
When you get to the site you will see a menu of intriguing article titles that will capture your student’s attention. There are over 75 to choose from that include:
- The Simpsons and Mathematics — Several of the TV show’s writers studied math or computer science and occasionally sneak in a mathematical joke such as the ones explained here.
- The Beauty of the Bag — Find out why the brown-paper bag that you use to carry groceries is actually a technological masterpiece.
- Sudoku Mania — Are you a Sudoku puzzle fan? Learn more about these fun logic puzzles and why you don’t need math to solve them.
- Math Music — Find out how mathmusicians turn numbers, number sequences, or mathematical functions into mysterious and haunting melodies.
- One-Cut Angelfish — Fold a piece of paper and make only one cut to produce an angelfish!
- Monopoly Cheat Sheet — find out how mathematicians figured out strategies for how to win a Monopoly game.
- Decoding Bar Codes — Learn what each number in a bar code means.
- Ant Math — discover how ants calculate space.
- Solve It or Die Hard — In the movie Die Hard with a Vengeance, detective John McClane and his sidekick Zeus have seconds to defuse a time bomb by solving a mathematical puzzle. Do you know how to solve it?
The articles include activities that your kids can do to demonstrate or prove the theory or idea presented. There are also illustrations and links to further resources.
Bookmark this site because there’s plenty of material here. Plus, once you’ve exhausted the matheMUSEments, poke around Science News for Kids to discover terrific information and activities on every aspect of science.